Early Career Paediatrician Award
Celebrates the leadership qualities of an early career paediatrician and recognizes their exceptional contribution and commitment to advocating for child and youth health at the regional level.
The candidate must be a paediatrician and member of the Canadian Paediatric Society and have been in practice 10 years or less. Current voting members of the CPS Board of Directors and Membership Subcommittee members are not eligible to be nominated for the award.
The membership Subcommittee, in collaboration with the board member(s) for the region will judge candidates based on their leadership and commitment in the three following areas:
- Patient Care (e.g., initiatives to improve the care of children and youth in their region; family-centred care focus; recognition of underserved/at-risk population and action to improve accessibility; innovative knowledge-to-practice initiatives)
- Community Service (e.g. contribution to making their community more active, safe, and child and youth-friendly; advocacy at local/provincial/territorial and/or national level; volunteer or administrative leadership positions)
- Teaching and Education (positive role model or mentor for junior trainees; leadership in public education; commitment to improving professional development for colleagues; spirit of scholarship)
There will be a maximum of one award per region per year. The regions are:
- British Columbia and Yukon
- Alberta and Northwest Territories
- Manitoba and Nunavut
- New Brunswick and PEI
- Nova Scotia
- Newfoundland and Labrador
- Letter of nomination from a CPS member specifically emphasizing how the candidate meets the criteria.
- Letter of support from a seconder affirming how the candidate meets the criteria. This seconder may be an individual from another discipline or sector.
- Updated CV for the nominee
The award is presented at a local meeting in the recipient’s community and announced at the Annual General Meeting of the CPS members.