The Internet is a web of links, and users expect to find useful links wherever they are. The Canadian Paediatric Society aims to provide relevant links for visitors to its website, while keeping in mind that (despite disclaimers) the quality of the links may reflect on the CPS website.
The following criteria will be considered when reviewing sites for possible links:
- Nature of site (commercial or not-for-profit): The site, or the group hosting the site, should be not-for-profit. The CPS will not routinely link to private or commercial sites, or those intended primarily for the sale of products. Links to CPS corporate partners will be through other areas of the site, and will be clearly noted as corporate partnerships.
- Target audience: The site should be designed for one of the Society’s primary target audiences (in particular, health care professionals caring for children and youth).
- Credibility and reliability of information: Where possible, information on linked sites should be attributed and sourced. If this is not the case, the CPS should verify the credibility and reliability of the source organization to the best of its ability.
- Usefulness to our audiences: It is helpful for users if we provide links to sites that complement information on the CPS site. Where appropriate, the Internet can be a "referral" service to groups that specialize in a particular area of child health and which have a reputation for credibility.
- Bilingualism: Where possible, the CPS will link to bilingual sites. We recognize that many valuable sites are produced in one language only. French-only sites, in particular, can be especially valuable for francophone users given the proliferation on English-only sites on the Internet.
- Partnerships: Links are one way to support partnerships, either with a coalition or a single group.
- Services and resources: Useful links might be those that offer a valuable service relevant to child and youth health and health care (e.g., access to credible publications, journals, etc.).
- Consistency with CPS messages: While we cannot be responsible for content on linked sites, every effort will be made to ensure we do not link to sites that contradict CPS policy and information.