Clinical practice: Tools and resources
Physicians play an important role in helping children and youth lead healthy lives. Watch our video to find out why this is so important then use our resources and tools to counsel about healthy active living in your practice.
- Use the guide for physicians to learn strategies on how to implement the Canadian guidelines in your office including tips on what to do in the office, ideas for parents and solutions to common barriers.
- Calculate and plot BMI once a year using the World Health Organization (WHO) growth charts.
- Write a prescription for healthy active kids and set specific goals with the children and adolescents you see in your practice and give ideas for things to do.
- Display our series of posters promoting physical activity for every age in your health care or community setting:
- Refer to CPS practice guidelines
- How much time does the family spend on sedentary activities and physical activity? Watch our video to find out why asking at every visit matters.
- What are the barriers to doing more physical activity? Watch our video for tips and practical suggestions on how to find solutions to the things that prevent them from being more active.
- Using motivational interviewing (MI), a patient-centered, goal-oriented evidence-based counseling method that combines supportive and empathetic counseling to help motivate patients. It can be useful in encouraging lifestyle changes.
CPS materials may be printed at no cost. Most can also be ordered from the CPS Bookstore.
Dec 19 2014